12th Avenue North Bridge Deck Overlay Nears Completion
August 12, 2020
By early evening Thursday, August 13, the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) contractors will remove all traffic control for the 12th Avenue North and I-29 bridge deck overlay. Crews have finished all overlay and concrete repair work and are working to finalize sealing the bridge deck and permanent pavement markings prior to opening.
Once traffic control is removed, motorists can expect the following on 12th Avenue between Aggregate Industries Drive to Daisy Lane:
- OPEN: All driving lanes open to traffic
- Speeds will resume back to 40 mph
The bridge deck overlay is a preventative maintenance to expand the life of the bridge and improve ride quality. If left untreated, the bridge deck is susceptible to spalling, which is when the top layer of the deck concrete becomes loose.
Project work was split into multiple phases to maintain access for thru traffic. The traffic impacts for the phase work included:
- Phase One: Traffic will remain on their respective sides with a single inside lane closure in each direction for removal of the raised medians
- Phase Two: Traffic will be shifted to the south side of the bridge for bridge deck overlay and CPR work on the north side
- Phase Three: Traffic will be shifted head-to-head on the north side of the bridge for bridge deck overlay and CPR work on the south side
- Phase Four: Traffic will be shifted back to their respective sides with a single inside lane closure in each direction for construction of the median pavement and raised median islands
The NDDOT urges motorists to always be attentive, drive with caution and never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones stating, “road closed.”
STATEWIDE TRAVEL INFORMATION:
For more information about construction projects and road conditions throughout North Dakota, call 511 from any type of phone or visit the Travel Information Map on the NDDOT website at http://www.dot.nd.gov/travel-info-v2/.
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »