Overnight I-29 Closures Coming Wednesday and Thursday for 32nd Avenue Project
June 27, 2017
32nd Avenue S to remain open over I-29 bridge, interstate closing between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. one direction per night
Coming up this week, contractors for the 32nd Avenue Reconstruction Project will be installing beams overnight on Wednesday, June 28, and Thursday, June 29, necessary for widening the I-29 bridge. To safely complete the work, they must temporarily close each side of the interstate between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., with lane reductions in place beginning at 9 p.m. Contractors planned this work during hours that will impact the fewest people possible. The schedule of closures is:
- Wednesday Night (9PM-6AM): All southbound lanes will close under the bridge; traffic detoured around I-29 using the west side on and off ramps at 32nd Ave. S; northbound I-29 lanes remain open
- Thursday Night (10PM-6AM): All northbound lanes will close under the bridge; traffic detoured around I-29 using the east side on and off ramps at 32nd Ave. S; the southeast loop ramp will temporarily close during this time; southbound I-29 lanes remain open
During these overnight closures, 32nd Ave. S will remain open for drivers including the lanes over the bridge, where there will be flaggers present to help direct traffic. By the morning rush hour, all interstate lanes should reopen and normal traffic patterns will resume.
Crews are also planning the next major traffic shift by the end of this week. At this time, drivers will move to the newly paved north side lanes east of 36th Street S. Traffic will be side-by-side, one lane in each direction with separate turn lanes. After this switch, traffic patterns through the work zone will be:
- West of 39th Street S: Side-by-side traffic carried on the new, north side pavement through the west end of the work zone, two lanes for westbound drivers and one lane for eastbound drivers, with separate turning lanes in each direction
- East of 36th St S: Side-by-side traffic carried on the new, north side lanes through the east end of the work zone, one lane in each direction with separate turn lanes
- I-29 Bridge: traffic carried on the south side, one lane of side-by-side traffic with a turn lane open in each direction
- SW I-29 Loop Ramp: Closed for improvements and paving prep, intersection access maintained via ramps on the north side of 32nd Ave.
- Intersections: All open through the work zone
**All schedules are tentative and weather dependent.
As a reminder, the speed limit on 32nd Ave. is reduced to 25 mph and 45 mph on I-29. Please be cautious, pay attention to signage and eliminate distractions. Crews are working very close to cones and oncoming traffic in portions of the work zone.
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »