I-94 Traffic Impacts Start near Sheyenne Street Monday April 22
April 19, 2019
The North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Fargo District along with the City of West Fargo are improving the Interstate 94 (I-94) and Sheyenne Street corridor.
Starting, Monday April 22, work to complete the last year of the major interchange reconstruction project at Sheyenne Street exit will begin in West Fargo.
Initially, eastbound and westbound I-94 traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction for about 1 mile surrounding the Sheyenne Street interchange. Crews will complete setting concrete barriers and temporary pavement markings throughout first part of the week, weather permitting.
By end of next week, eastbound and westbound I-94 traffic will shift into head-to-head with one lane in each direction on the westbound side of the interstate. Motorists will remain in this driving pattern on interstate until work is complete on the eastbound bridge in late fall. Speeds on I-94 will be reduced to 45 mph on the interstate and 25 mph on the interstate ramps.
“With use of the I-94 westbound bridge, exiting Sheyenne Street traffic will continue to use the separate north and south Sheyenne Street ramps to enter street traffic as they typically do on a daily commute,” said Justin Oss, Project Engineer for NDDOT Fargo District. “This will be an easier navigation route for exiting traffic this year as we work hard to keep as much of the roadway open as possible to motorists throughout the improvement project.”
SHEYENNE STREET ACCESS
During the head-to-head traffic control, access to Sheyenne Street will be maintained by the following routes:
- Westbound to south on Sheyenne Street (346-A): drive over the I-94 bridge to use the new westbound loop ramp to only travel south
- Westbound to north on Sheyenne Street (346-B): use the westbound off-ramp to only travel north. A temporary northeast exit-ramp will be used to travel northbound on Sheyenne Street to complete the tie-in to Sheyenne Street at the start of the project work.
- Eastbound to north and south on Sheyenne Street (346): use the existing ramp through the duration of the project.
Sheyenne Street drivers will be carried in a single lane of traffic north and south under the I-94 bridge between East Beaton Drive to Christianson Drive.
Once traffic is carried on the same side of the interstate, crews will begin to demolish the existing eastbound bridge and reconstruct the remaining ramps needed for the new modified single point urban interchange design, which will move double lanes of traffic through one stoplight in the middle of the interchange when interchange design is complete at Sheyenne Street exit. Throughout the second-year of project work, crews will install or build the remaining infrastructure to complete the new interchange design:
- Eastbound Sheyenne Street bridge
- Three additional interchange on and off ramps
- Extend interchange ramp connections
- Reconstruct Sheyenne Street under the bridges between E Beaton Drive to Christensen Drive to two driving lanes plus turn lanes in each direction
Throughout the first year, crews completed the installation of the new underground utilities and built a portion of the interchange structures:
- Westbound I-94 bridge
- Westbound loop ramp to Sheyenne Street
- Westbound on-ramp to I-94
- Westbound off-ramp to Sheyenne Street
- Pedestrian box culvert under northeast quadrant of interchange
- Storm sewer lift station
- Underground utilities for water, storm and sanitary to connect to city systems
WORK ZONE SAFETY
Oss reminds motorists, “that finding an alternative route this summer may help to ease congestion through the corridor. There will be periods of stopped traffic while trucks enter or exit the work zone off Sheyenne Street.”
One of the easiest choices a motorist can make when you enter a work zone is to slow down. Motorists are encouraged to eliminate distractions and pay attention to traffic changes throughout this dynamic work zone.
ADJACENT PROJECT WORK
South of the interchange, City of West Fargo is continuing the improvement of Sheyenne Street between East Beaton Drive to 40th Avenue W with multiple reconstruction projects this year. Sheyenne Street from south of the interchange to 32nd Avenue West (segment two). The road is closed south of 32nd Avenue W to 40th Avenue W with traffic diverted to Ninth Street W.
Visit WestFargoStreets.com for more project details.
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »