I-94 and West Fargo Main Avenue Bridge Improvement Project Starts
May 15, 2018
Starting today, Tuesday, May 15, the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Fargo District began a bridge rehabilitation project near Red River Valley Fairgrounds and Main Avenue business loop in West Fargo.
Eastbound and westbound I-94 traffic is maintained for travel through the interchange. To complete the necessary bridge repairs, a detour route is in place for westbound Main Ave traffic wishing to go eastbound on I-94.
- Bridge is limited to one-lane traffic with the bridge remaining open for eastbound I-94 traffic exiting on Main Avenue
- Bridge is closed for West Fargo Main Avenue traffic wishing to use the eastbound I-94 onramp loop
- Main Avenue to eastbound I-94 traffic will instead be detoured to travel west on I-94 to Exit 342 (Raymond Interchange) and return east on I-94. The length of this detour is about 2.5 miles.
The anticipated project schedule will suspend project work during the week-long Red River Valley Fair in July. Crews will open the bridge to allow two-way traffic if phase one is complete then work will commence on the final phase of the repairs.
The west end of the bridge deck is deteriorating and delaminated. Crews will remove approximately 5 feet of the west end of the deck and replaced. The entire bridge deck will be milled and overlaid with new concrete. Project work will also repair the west abutment and the west approach slab. This project work will take four to five months to complete.
Rear end crashes are the most common in work zones. Motorists are encouraged to slow down, allow extra distance between their vehicles and the vehicle in front of them, use caution and obey posted signs.
Work zone limits: I-94 and West Fargo Main Avenue interchange bridge, exit 343
Traffic control: In both directions –
- Eastbound traffic will be maintained on the bridge: bridge will be limited to one driving lane with the bridge remaining open for exiting westbound I-94 to Main Avenue
- Westbound traffic will be detoured: Main Avenue to eastbound I-94 traffic will be detoured to travel west on I-94
- One temporary lane closure on I-94 may occur when crews are working under the bridge
Project segments – Project work to be complete by Labor Day:
- First phase: Complete half the deck while maintaining one lane of eastbound traffic
- Project suspension: If phase one is complete, project work will be suspended during Red River Valley Fair to allow two-way traffic on the bridge
- Second phase: Complete the second half of the bridge while maintaining one lane of eastbound traffic
- West end of the deck is deteriorating, and full depth holes have formed in the deck
- The deck is delaminated. If left untreated, the bridge deck is susceptible to spalling, which is when the top layer of the deck concrete becomes loose.
NDDOT has funded the entire bridge project with state and federal funds. Bridge project cost is $650,000.
- Federal: 90%
- State: 10%
- City: No city funds will be used
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »