All Interstate 94 Eastbound and Westbound Driving Lanes Open Through Sheyenne Street Interchange
November 6, 2018
Northbound and southbound West Fargo drivers now use separate interstate ramp exits to access Sheyenne Street for travel
Crews have completed the removal of all of the temporary roadway markings and installed the needed pavement markings to open both driving lanes of Interstate 94 (I-94) in West Fargo work zone. Eastbound I-94 is now open with two driving lanes through the Sheyenne Street interchange and westbound I-94 is expected to open both driving lanes by this evening. Speeds reductions will be removed and posted speeds will return to 55 mph once signage work is complete through the area.
With the opening of the new westbound I-94 bridge over Sheyenne Street, motorists wishing to exit I-94 no longer use the same ramp.
- South on Sheyenne Street (346-A): drive over the I-94 bridge to use the new westbound loop ramp to only travel south
- North on Sheyenne Street (346-B): use the temporary westbound off-ramp to only travel north. Drivers are not able to turn left to travel south from this ramp any longer.
The two-year North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Fargo District I-94 and Sheyenne Street interchange reconstruction zone will soon enter winter suspension after crews:
- Open: new westbound I-94 off-ramp to northbound Sheyenne Street traffic
- Install: new street lights and permanent traffic signals for 2018 project scope
- Complete: grading and earthwork for the widened Sheyenne Street roadway
Motorists should continue to slow down, eliminate distractions and follow all posted signs throughout the project limits.
The two-year project is building a new ramp configuration called a modified single point urban interchange, which will move double lanes of traffic through one stoplight in the middle of the interchange when interchange design is complete.
Throughout the first year, the scope of work included installing new infrastructure or building a portion of the interchange structures:
- Westbound I-94 bridge
- Westbound loop ramp to Sheyenne Street
- Westbound on-ramp to I-94
- Westbound off-ramp to Sheyenne Street
- Pedestrian box culvert under northeast quadrant of interchange
- Storm sewer lift station
- Underground utilities for water, storm and sanitary to connect to city systems
In spring of 2019, contractors will restart reconstruction work and focus on installing or building the remaining infrastructure to complete the new interchange design:
- Eastbound Sheyenne Street bridge
- Three additional interchange on and off ramps
- Extend interchange ramp connections
- Reconstruct Sheyenne Street under the bridges between E Beaton Drive to Christensen Drive
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »