Main Avenue and 8th Street Intersection will Close to Traffic Early Tuesday Morning
May 21, 2020
Beginning Tuesday, May 26, at 7 a.m., the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) and the City of Fargo contractors for the Main Avenue Makeover improvement project in downtown Fargo will extend the third traffic impact west and close the Main Avenue and 8th Street South intersection. The intersection will be closed for up to two months.
Motorist can expect the following traffic pattern through the Main Avenue work zone:
- Main Avenue fully closed to traffic from west of 8th Street South to west of Broadway, including the 8th Street intersection
- Main Avenue fully closed to traffic from east of University Drive to west of the 10th Street South underpass bridge
- Business and pedestrian access will be maintained to all businesses along Main Avenue
- Speeds are reduced to 25 mph where traffic control is present
The new northbound counterflow lane on University Drive between Main Avenue and NP Avenue is in use. Motorists are now able to turn north on University Drive from Main Avenue to access NP Avenue.
Next week crews will finish all mainline paving operations and begin work on the curb and gutter within the first traffic impact section along Main Avenue from University Drive to west of the 10th Street South underpass bridge. Crews will also be working on mainline sewer and water services within the third traffic impact, as well as roadway removals in the 8th Street intersection. Drivers should plan to use the posted detour route to cross the Red River into Moorhead until project work is complete in mid-October. The posted detour route north of Main Avenue is 1st Avenue North and south of Main Avenue is 1st Avenue South between University Drive to 2nd Street South.
The NDDOT and the City of Fargo urges motorists to always be attentive, drive with caution and never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones stating, “road closed.”
Local access is maintained to all the north side businesses located in the project zone by use of 1st Avenue South to adjacent side streets. Motorists can then cross north or south over Main Avenue via:
- 10th Street South (underpass frontage road, near the old McDonald’s)
- 11th Street South, 12th Street South or Broadway
The contractor can work on the project phases concurrently with restrictions on days for intersection work. Over the next weeks, motorists should expect additional reduced lanes or full roadway closures of Main Avenue as they move into the next phases of project work. The traffic impacts for the next phase work will include:
- Main Avenue between 10th Street and 8th Street (fourth traffic impact): The remaining roadway of Main Avenue will be reconstructed west of 8th Street South intersection.
- 10th Street South underpass bridge (last traffic impact): The steel bridge deck under Main Avenue for the 10th Street South underpass will be replaced. There will be short-term lane closures on 10th Street South.
The two-year makeover of Main Avenue in downtown Fargo is a joint project between the NDDOT and City of Fargo to transform this gateway into a safe, accessible, and beautiful passageway to and through the heart of Fargo.
In 2020, the final year of reconstruction work in the downtown area will improve Main Avenue between west of Broadway to east of University Drive, including the addition of a counterflow lane for northbound driving lane on University Drive to detour traffic between Main Avenue and NP Avenue. Once construction is complete, this lane will remain to add another northbound railroad underpass access into downtown.
Last year crews completed the first year of improvements ahead of schedule that improved the roadway, pedestrian facilities and upgrade the underground infrastructure between the Red River to Broadway, including the construction of a two-lane roundabout at 2nd Street South intersection.
When the roadway is complete this fall, Main Avenue roadway will be a hybrid design consisting of a:
- 3-lane alternative from 2nd Street to 9th Street South, as well as double-lane roundabout at the Main Avenue and 2nd Street South intersection
- 4-lane section between 9th Street South and 11th Street South
- 5-lane section west of 11th Street South
- View the future Main Avenue Alternative E: Drive-through Animation
The cost of construction is estimated to be $11.5 million for 2020 project work, totaling about $23 million in improvements over the two-year project. Funding for the project will consist of a combination of federal, state and local assessments.
Constructed in the 1950s, this full stretch of Main Avenue is one of the oldest roads in Fargo. The project will improve 50 – 60-year-old underground infrastructure, an aging driving surface and lessen the pedestrian system gaps through the downtown corridor. The 2019 – 2020 project work from the Red River to University Drive includes:
- Upgrade existing water main, sanitary sewer system and storm sewer
- Construction of a two-lane roundabout at the 2nd Street South intersection
- Replace roadway pavement, traffic signals, street lighting and landscaping features
- Widen pedestrian facilities on both sides of Main Avenue, with new pedestrian crossings
- Additional on-street parking
- Addition of a counterflow lane creating a northbound driving lane on University Drive to detour traffic between Main Avenue and NP Avenue
During the design phase in October 2018, and after receiving feedback from property owners, the NDDOT and City of Fargo split the scope of work into two separate projects.
Fargo Main Avenue (US Highway 10) is part of the NDDOT Regional Highway System and serves as an arterial connection between West Fargo, Fargo and Moorhead.
PUBLIC INFORMATION MEETINGS
There will not be in-person public information meetings held at this time. Regular project updates will be facilitated through Facebook LIVE videos through the start of the project season. Project staff will share more about the progress of the project work and be available to answer questions.
Virtual Meeting Details:
- WHEN: Biweekly, every other Thursday
- WHERE: NDDOT Fargo District Facebook page
- Video updates will be archived to be viewed at any time on the page
STATEWIDE TRAVEL INFORMATION
For more information about construction projects and road conditions throughout North Dakota, call 511 from any type of phone or visit the Travel Information Map on the NDDOT website at http://www.dot.nd.gov/travel-info-v2/.
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »