NDDOT encourages motorists to help keep roadways clear of litter
April 28, 2017
The North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) and North Dakota Highway Patrol are reminding motorists to do their part in keeping roadways clear of litter. Ditches along the roadway can be inundated with trash and debris from vehicles. In North Dakota it’s against the law to litter.
By following a few tips, we can all help to keep North Dakota clean:
- Set an example for others by not littering.
- Keep a litter bag in your car and hang on to litter until you find a garbage receptacle
- Large or heavy items should be firmly secured with solid straps, rope, bungee cords or netting. Tie large items directly to your vehicle.
- Cover loose, lighter items such as tree clippings with a sturdy plastic or canvas tarp or netting. Tie the tarp securely to the vehicle, or it might become road debris as well.
- Put lighter weight things at the bottom of the load and make sure they are secure. Evenly distribute the load to prevent it from sliding.
- Keep material level with truck bed or trailer unless tied down, netted or tarped. Materials below the truck bed should also be secured if there’s any chance of them blowing out or falling from the vehicle.
- Double check your load if possible to make sure it is secure at the back and on the sides and top. Remember that loads can move and settle during a journey, allowing restraints to loosen.
Agencies across the state are taking part in clean-up efforts and motorists may see volunteers conducting litter control activities along the highway throughout the spring and summer months.
For more information on keeping North Dakota clean go to http://www.dot.nd.gov/public/kndc.htm
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »