New I-94 and Sheyenne Street Exit Open for Northbound Only Travel at 346-B
November 9, 2018
Before the major bridge construction and new interchange configuration at the Interstate 94 (I-94) and Sheyenne Street 2018 project work winds down, the work zone will have one last traffic shift.
This evening, Friday, November 9, contractors will open the new northbound only off-ramp for travel to Sheyenne Street. This ramp will route traffic further north and out of the current intersection area to enter Sheyenne Street traffic.
With the I-94 off-ramps back to how they originally operated with one for north traffic and one for south traffic, to travel:
- South on Sheyenne Street (346-A): drive over the I-94 bridge to use the new westbound loop ramp to only travel south
- North on Sheyenne Street (346-B): use the westbound off-ramp to only travel north. No left-turns allowed.
Early this morning, crews started working on a few changes to traffic control to help reduce confusion, starting with adjusting the signal heads and signal light phasing for the off-ramp to support drivers and ease confusion on use of the interchange. A message board has been placed between Veteran’s Blvd and Sheyenne Street to give drivers notice which exit to take just prior to the interchange ramps.
Eastbound and westbound I-94 are open with two driving lanes in each direction through the Sheyenne Street interchange. Speeds have increased to 55 mph for motorists.
The two-year North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) I-94 and Sheyenne Street interchange reconstruction zone will soon enter winter suspension after crews:
- Install: final striping and winter suspension traffic control signs and devices
- Complete: grading and earthwork for widened Sheyenne Street roadway
Motorists should obey posted speeds and minimize distractions while driving through the remaining work zone.
TWO-YEAR PROJECT | 2018 – 2019
The two-year project is building a new ramp configuration called a modified single point urban interchange, which will move double lanes of traffic through one stoplight in the middle of the interchange when interchange design is complete
Throughout the first year, the scope of work included installing new infrastructure or building a portion of the interchange structures:
- Westbound I-94 bridge
- Westbound loop ramp to Sheyenne Street
- Westbound on-ramp to I-94
- Westbound off-ramp to Sheyenne Street
- Pedestrian box culvert under northeast quadrant of interchange
- Storm sewer lift station
- Underground utilities for water, storm and sanitary to connect to city systems
In spring of 2019, contractors will restart reconstruction work and focus on installing or building the remaining infrastructure to complete the new interchange design:
- Eastbound Sheyenne Street bridge
- Three additional interchange on and off ramps
- Extend interchange ramp connections
- Reconstruct Sheyenne Street under the bridges between E Beaton Drive to Christensen Drive
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »