North side intersection impacts coming to 32nd Avenue and 39th Street S this Monday
April 7, 2017
Starting around noon on Monday and lasting 3 to 4 weeks, the intersection will be one-way for northbound traffic only with all southbound traffic detoured
As roadway and intersection work progresses through the 32nd Avenue S and Interstate 29 (I-29) work zones, contractors for the reconstruction and bridge widening projects will be changing intersection access by mid-day this Monday, April 10. At this time, the north side intersection of 32nd Ave. and 39th Street S will become one-way, northbound only.
Both eastbound and westbound drivers from 32nd Ave. will be able to turn onto 39th St. S, but drivers trying to access 32nd Ave. from 39th St. will be detoured. All southbound traffic will be rerouted to 30th Avenue S, then to 41st Street S or 42nd Street S. This traffic pattern is illustrated on the map below and will be in place for approximately three to four weeks, weather permitting. During this time, all business access will be maintained.
By end-of-day Saturday, April 8, the intersection of 32nd Ave. and 41st St. S will reopen to traffic in all directions after crews finish replacing an old storm sewer. Both the southeast and southwest I-29 loop ramp remain closed for improvements, with all interstate access maintained via ramps on the north side of 32nd Ave., where temporary traffic signals are operating. These temporary closures are necessary as crews widen and add loop ramps in-order to accommodate for increasing traffic volumes. Throughout the project, the interstate will continue to be accessible for drivers traveling in all directions.
On Monday, the traffic pattern on 32nd Ave. will be:
- WEST OF 39th ST S – Side-by-side traffic on the south side of the road, with westbound using two lanes and eastbound drivers using one lane, plus separate turn lanes for both directions; all intersections open
- I-29 BRIDGE – Side-by-side traffic carried on the north side, with one lane and a turn lane open in each direction
- EAST OF 36th ST S – From 36th Street to just west of 32nd Street, side-by-side traffic carried on the south side, with one lane in each direction and all intersections open; between 32nd and 28th Streets, traffic control remains the same with drivers using outside driving lanes, one lane in each direction with separate turn lanes; all intersections open
During construction, drivers will experience:
- Short-term lane closures during off-peak travel times on either side of I-29 when contractors need extra space for crews working under the bridge
- Two driving lanes on both sides of I-29 maintained when project work allows, with speeds reduced to 45 mph
- Congestion during peak travel times on 32nd Ave. S
- 32nd Ave. speeds reduced to 25 mph and Fargo Police Department conducting traffic blitzes
Drivers are reminded to slow down, eliminate distractions and pay attention to signage pointing out the dynamic traffic patterns. Recommended alternative routes to the 32nd Ave. S corridor are Interstate 94 (I-94) and 40th Avenue South, as well as 25th Street South, 42nd Street South and 45th Street South. Pedestrians should also find alternate routes, such as 40th Ave. S or the underpass, as the bike trail on 32nd Ave. is closed.
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »