Overnight Sheyenne Street Closure Under Interchange 8 PM – 6 AM Monday
June 28, 2019
Starting Monday, July 1, at 8 p.m. crews will close Sheyenne Street to all traffic underneath the Interstate 94 (I-94) bridges for one night of bridge work. Between 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Tuesday, July 2, crews will set 70-foot bridge beams over Sheyenne Street for the new eastbound bridge.
By the morning rush hour, Sheyenne Street underneath the I-94 bridges will open to north and south travel with one driving lane in each direction between E. Beaton Drive to 26th Avenue W.
During the overnight work, access to travel on/off I-94 and on/off Sheyenne Street will remain open for certain directions of travel surrounding the interchange:
- Exiting westbound I-94 traffic – travel north on Sheyenne Street
- Exiting eastbound I-94 traffic – travel south on Sheyenne Street
- North side of bridges – Sheyenne Street traffic can use westbound I-94 on-ramp
- South side of bridges – Sheyenne Street traffic can use eastbound I-94 on-ramp
The Sheyenne Street overnight closure will give crews additional working room to set the center section of the bridge structure and ensure safety of the motorists traveling through the area. Crews will start setting bridge beams off-line today and will complete the installation of the all the bridge beams by Wednesday, July 3. Once the bridge beams are set, crews will begin to construct the bridge deck.
Additionally, work on the new interchange ramp design continues to make progress. This week interchange crews completed the first pave for the new southwest loop ramp with paving operations continuing into Monday and completed the northeast off-ramp connection for north Sheyenne Street traffic.
Eastbound and westbound I-94 traffic is being carried head-to-head in one lane in each direction for about 1 mile surrounding the Sheyenne Street interchange. Interstate traffic will remain in this driving pattern until late fall. Speeds on I-94 are reduced to 45 mph on the interstate and 25 mph on the interstate ramps.
Adjacent City of West Fargo project work is occurring south of the interchange to fully reconstruct and widen Sheyenne Street between E. Beaton Drive to 40th Avenue W. intersection this year. Access and driving lanes are maintained where project work allows in both improvement areas.
- In segment two, Sheyenne Street is open with one lane in each direction between E. Beaton Drive to 26th Avenue W. Additional driving lanes, open south of 26th Avenue W to 32nd Avenue W intersection.
- In segment three, Sheyenne Street is closed to through traffic south of 32nd Avenue W. to north of 40th Avenue W. intersection. Local access remains in place for residents and businesses south of 32nd Avenue. To continue south on Sheyenne Street, the best driving route is use of Ninth Street W. to east on 40th Avenue W. intersection.
Motorists are encouraged to slow down and eliminate distractions to pay attention to traffic changes throughout this dynamic work zone.
The North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Fargo District along with the City of West Fargo are improving the Interstate 94 (I-94) and Sheyenne Street corridor.
Throughout the second year of project work, crews will install or build the remaining infrastructure to complete the new modified single point urban interchange design:
- Eastbound Sheyenne Street bridge
- Three additional interchange on and off ramps
- Extend interchange ramp connections
- Permanent traffic signals
- Storm sewer and utility improvements
- Reconstruct Sheyenne Street under the bridges between E Beaton Drive to Christensen Drive to two driving lanes plus turn lanes in each direction
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »