Overnight Sheyenne Street Closures 8 PM – 6 AM Coming Tuesday Through Thursday Next Week in West Fargo
May 28, 2018
Travel under the I-94 bridges will be temporarily detoured and reopened by the early morning commute for three nights
Starting, Tuesday, May 29, through Thursday, May 31, crews will change access for north to south travel on Sheyenne Street under the Interstate 94 (I-94) bridges for three nights between 8 p.m. – 6 a.m. During the overnight work, Sheyenne Street will be closed to all traffic underneath the I-94 bridges.
Access to travel on/off I-94 and on/off Sheyenne Street will remain for certain directions of travel surrounding the interchange:
- Exiting westbound I-94 traffic – only can travel north on Sheyenne Street
- Exiting eastbound I-94 traffic – only can travel south on Sheyenne Street
- Northbound Sheyenne Street traffic– only can use westbound I-94 ramp
- Southbound Sheyenne Street traffic West – only can use eastbound I-94 ramp
By the morning rush hour, both directions of Sheyenne Street lanes will reopen and current work zone traffic patterns will resume.
To complete the needed bridge demolition, The Sheyenne Street closures will give crews additional working room and ensure safety for the motorists while the start the demolition of the westbound bridge. While the roadway is closed, crews will also install the five large storm sewer pipes that need to go across Sheyenne Street to connect to the system. Contractors planned this work during hours that will impact the fewest drivers as possible.
Motorists need to be mindful of the westbound Sheyenne Street exit from I-94 has changed. After the 9th Street E/Veterans Blvd bridge, motorists need to stay in the right lane to continue straight for a half mile on the west side in order to exit onto Sheyenne Street. Motorists looking to remain westbound need to be in the left-lane to cross over to the head-to-head traffic. Northbound and southbound traffic are using the same ramp to exit. At the bottom of the ramp, motorists can go left to travel south and right to travel north on Sheyenne Street from the northeast ramp. The northwest Sheyenne Street exit loop ramp is now closed to drivers.
Eastbound and westbound I-94 traffic is being carried head-to-head in one lane in each direction for about 1 mile surrounding the Sheyenne Street interchange. Interstate traffic will remain in this driving pattern until the first year of work enters into winter suspension in late fall. Speeds on I-94 will be reduced to 45 mph on the interstate and 25 mph on the interstate ramps.
When night closure work is complete after Friday, access to Sheyenne Street will be maintained by the following routes:
- Westbound drivers wishing to exit Sheyenne Street will be carried in a half mile lane on the west side. The entrance to this exit will be just west of 9th St E/Veteran Blvd exit where westbound traffic crosses over to the east side.
- Northwest Sheyenne Street exit loop ramp will be closed to westbound traffic to begin reconstruction work
- A temporary northeast exit-ramp will be used to travel northbound on Sheyenne Street. The existing ramp will begin to be reconstructed.
- All westbound traffic will exit on the northeast ramp to go south or north on Sheyenne Street
- Traffic will be allowed to make a left to go southbound on Sheyenne Street or right to go northbound on Sheyenne Street from the northeast ramp
- Eastbound drivers will reduce into one lane east of the southwest exit-ramp to Sheyenne Street, near All Finish Concrete building south of the interstate
- Southeast on-ramp will remain in use
Sheyenne Street drivers:
- Single lane of traffic north and south remains under the I-94 bridge between East Beaton Drive to Christianson Drive
Crews are beginning the demolition of the westbound bridge, working on storm sewer improvements, new lift station and digging to install the new retaining wall.
The North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Fargo District along with the City of West Fargo are improving the Interstate 94 (I-94) and Sheyenne Street corridor over the next two years. Project work for this year includes:
- Reconstruction of the eastbound I-94 bridge over Sheyenne Street
- Construction of new exit ramp and lengthen existing ramps
- Reconstruction of most of Sheyenne Street to two driving lanes plus turn lanes in each direction between East Beaton Drive to Christensen Drive in West Fargo
One of the easiest choices motorists can make as a driver when you enter a work zone is to slow down. Motorists are encouraged to eliminate distractions and pay attention to traffic changes throughout this dynamic work zone.
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »