12th Avenue North & 1-29 Bridge Deck Overlay
Motorists can expect the following traffic impacts on 12th Avenue between Aggregate Industries Drive to Daisy Lane:
- OPEN: Single lane in each direction carried in the outside lanes
- CLOSED: Single inside lane closure in each direction
- Speeds will be reduced to 25 mph where traffic control is present
This is a rehabilitation bridge project and the bridge deck will not be fully reconstructed. The entire deck will be milled and overlaid with new concrete, and jacking on approach panels. The bridge rehabilitation work is expected to be complete by October.
Work Zone Limits:
12th Avenue North & I-29 Bridge deck
Traffic Control: Traffic control will be setup on 12th Avenue North between Aggregate Industries Drive to Daisy Lane.
Project Phases: Project work will be split into multiple phases to maintain access for thru traffic. The traffic impacts for the phase work will include:
- Phase One: Traffic will remain on their respective sides with a single inside lane closure in each direction for removal of the raised medians
- Phase Two: Traffic will be shifted to the south side of the bridge for bridge deck overlay and CPR work on the north side
- Phase Three: Traffic will be shifted head-to-head on the north side of the bridge for bridge deck overlay and CPR work on the south side
- Phase Four: Traffic will be shifted back to their respective sides with a single inside lane closure in each direction for construction of the median pavement and raised median islands
Need for Project:
The bridge deck overlay is a preventative maintenance to expand the life of the bridge and improve ride quality. If left untreated, the bridge deck is susceptible to spalling, which is when the top layer of the deck concrete becomes loose.