25th Street South Reconstruction
Project work began on May 5th and is expected to be complete in November 2014.
25th Street will be widened to three lanes of traffic in each direction between 23rd Avenue South and 17th Avenue South. The work zone is approximately one mile.
This includes widening both sides of the current bridge (overpass) over Interstate 94 (I-94). A new slip ramp will be constructed for northbound (NB) 25th Street South traffic to enter eastbound I-94 traffic.
Throughout the project, motorists will encounter:
- Reduced lanes of traffic on 25th Street as well as I-94 during the bridge widening
- Traffic will be head-on-head, one lane in each direction on 25th Street
- Speeds will be reduced
- Flaggers present and directing traffic flow
- Significant delays
- Ramp terminals may be down to one lane at times. This means all traffic that turns left, right or continues through the intersection will be in one lane. If the first car is turning left and there is oncoming traffic, which may mean that car may be the only car that gets through on one light.
- Some City of Fargo intersections will be right in only and will not have access to 25th Street South during portions of the projects.
The I-94 traffic impacts will be limited to a portion of the summer to support the beam setting of the bridge widening. The required lane closure of the interstate are anticipated to occur after rush hours or overnight.
This project will address long delay times and high crash rates. Numerous studies have been conducted over the last two-three years to evaluate the traffic needs and findings pointed to the need for reconstruction of this heavily traveled city artery. Currently 25th Street South is a 5-lane road with and without raised medians. In order to improve traffic flow an additional lane will be added in each direction on 25th Street from 17th Avenue down to 18th Street. There will also be the addition of a slip ramp for northbound traffic on 25th Street South to enter I-94 east.
Approximately $14.8 Million.
This project is funded in partnership with the City of Fargo.
|Location||Existing 2010||Projected 2030||Increase|
|25th Street South||27,000||37,200||37.8%|
|25th Street South Interchange slip ramps||8,000|
25th Street Pedestrian Detour
I-94 Eastbound Temporary Overnight Detour
I-94 Westbound Temporary Overnight Detour