I-94 and Sheyenne Street Interchange Improvement Project
NDDOT will be overseeing the complete reconstruction of
the Interstate 94 and Sheyenne Street interchange in 2018
and 2019. Project work begins early May – winter suspension.
Prep work for the project began in September 2017 – By building the needed interstate cross-overs on I-94, this reduced 6 weeks from the construction timeline for 2018 project work. These cross-overs are used to help shift traffic to head-to-head on one side of the interstate.
Work Zone Limits:
- I-94 – half mile east and west around Sheyenne Street Interchange
- Sheyenne Street – Christianson Drive to E Beaton Drive
Head-to-head traffic with one lane in each direction on I-94 through the interchange at Sheyenne Street.
New Modified, Single Point, Urban Interchange:
- Move double lanes of traffic through one stoplight in the middle of the interchange on the north and south sides
- Northbound traffic will never stop at a traffic signal when entering Sheyenne Street
The project work will support increased density, address safety
concerns, upgrade the rural roadway, ease congestion, and add
multimodal facilities to the area. Work will span over two years:
- First year: Westbound Sheyenne Street bridge will be reconstructed; the North and South Sheyenne Street traffic will drive on the same roadway between E Beaton Drive to Christianson Drive
- Second year: Eastbound Sheyenne Street bridge will be reconstructed, on and off ramps will be constructed or lengthened, and most of Sheyenne Street will be reconstructed between E Beaton Drive to Christensen Drive
Project will Reconstruct/ Install/ Upgrade:
- Two new bridges on I-94
- Wider underpass for Sheyenne Street
- Construct a modified single point urban interchange and additional loop ramp to improve traffic flow
- New retaining wall
- Improved pedestrian facilities – Box culverts under ramps and shared use paths
- Traffic signals and street lighting
- Improved drainage – upgrades to lift station, storm sewer and city utility
NDDOT has funded the entire interchange project with state
and federal funds. Interchange project cost is $19.1 million.
- Federal: $13.1 Million
- State: $5.5 Million
- City: $.5 Million (Drainage)
Adjacent Project Work:
The City of West Fargo is overseeing the reconstruction project from 13th Avenue W to 40th Avenue W. Sheyenne Street work zone will stretch for about 2 miles. This project work will be between 2018 – 2019 construction seasons, and be in three segments:
Segment 1: 13th Avenue W. to Beaton Drive
- Construction Schedule: 2018
- Proposed Improvement: Five-lane section that includes two lanes in each direction and a center left turn lane.
- NDDOT will be reconstructing the westbound Sheyenne Street bridge.
Segment 2: Beaton Drive to 32nd Avenue W
- Construction Schedule: 2018 & 2019
- Proposed Improvement: Six-lane section with a raised median and offset left turn-lanes and a new bridge over the Sheyenne Diversion.
- NDDOT will be reconstructing the eastbound bridge, ramps and Sheyenne Street between Beaton Drive to Christianson Drive in West Fargo.
For more information go to: WestFargoStreets.com
Future 2019 view of I-94 and Sheyenne Street Interchange
Current Traffic Pattern Overview Map
Current 2018 birds-eye view of I-94 and Sheyenne Street Interchange
Future 2019 birds-eye view of I-94 and Sheyenne Street Interchange (Modified SPUI)