I-94 and Sheyenne Street Interchange Improvement Project (2018 - 2019)
In 2018 and 2019, NDDOT is overseeing the complete reconstruction of the Interstate 94 and Sheyenne Street interchange in West Fargo. The new Modified, Single Point, Urban interchange design will be a first for North Dakota interstate system.
New Modified, Single Point, Urban Interchange Design:
- Moves double lanes of traffic through one stoplight in the middle of the interchange on the north and south sides
- Northbound traffic will never stop at a traffic signal when entering Sheyenne Street
Work Zone Limits:
- I-94 – half mile east and west around Sheyenne Street Interchange
- Sheyenne Street – Christianson Drive to E Beaton Drive
Project work began in early May 2018. Work on the bridge over the diversion in segment two occured during the winter months with the rest of the work on Sheyenne Street and interchange resuming April 2019.
Prep work for the project began in September 2017 by building the needed interstate cross-overs on I-94. This reduced six weeks from the construction timeline for 2018 project work. These cross-overs are used to help shift traffic to head-to-head on one side of the interstate for two-years of project work.
Eastbound and westbound I-94 traffic is being carried head-to-head in one lane in each direction for about 1 mile surrounding the Sheyenne Street interchange. Interstate traffic will remain in this driving pattern until late fall. Speeds on I-94 are reduced to 45 mph on the interstate and 25 mph on the interstate ramps.
With the I-94 off-ramps back to how they originally operated with one for north traffic and one for south traffic, to travel:
- South on Sheyenne Street (346-A): drive over the I-94 bridge to use the new westbound loop ramp to only travel south
- North on Sheyenne Street (346-B): use the new westbound off-ramp to only travel north. Drivers are not able to turn left to travel south from this ramp any longer.
All interchange ramps are open for entering and exiting interstate traffic.
Single lane of Sheyenne Street traffic for north and south remains under the I-94 bridges between East Beaton Drive to Christianson Drive.
The project work will support increased density, address safety concerns, upgrade the rural roadway, ease congestion, and add multimodal facilities to the area. Work will span over two years:
- First year: Westbound Sheyenne Street bridge will be reconstructed; the North and South Sheyenne Street traffic will drive on the same roadway between E Beaton Drive to Christianson Drive
- Second year: Eastbound Sheyenne Street bridge will be reconstructed, on and off ramps will be constructed or lengthened, and most of Sheyenne Street will be reconstructed between E Beaton Drive to Christensen Drive
Project will Reconstruct/ Install/ Upgrade:
- Two new bridges on I-94
- Wider underpass for Sheyenne Street
- Construct a modified single point urban interchange and additional loop ramp to improve traffic flow
- New retaining wall
- Improved pedestrian facilities – Box culverts under ramps and shared use paths
- Traffic signals and street lighting
- Improved drainage – upgrades to lift station, storm sewer and city utility
NDDOT has funded the entire interchange project with state and federal funds. Interchange project cost is $19.1 million.
- Federal: $13.1 Million
- State: $5.5 Million
- City: $.5 Million (Drainage)
Adjacent Project Work:
The City of West Fargo is overseeing the reconstruction project from 13th Avenue W. to 40th Avenue W. Sheyenne Street work zone will stretch for about 2 miles.
In 2019, Segment 2 and 3 are currently in active construction. Work in Segment 1 was complete in 2018.
Segment 2: Crews are working at the bridge over the Diversion. One driving lane is open north of 26th Avenue W. and utilize the existing Diversion Bridge in each direction. Sheyenne Street traffic is open to three lanes of traffic in each direction south of 26th Avenue W.
Segment 3: Sheyenne Street is closed from south of 32nd Avenue W to 40th Avenue South and city block south of 40th Avenue W. Local access is maintained from 32nd Avenue W to 37th Avenue E. 40th Avenue W. and Sheyenne Street intersection opened to east – west and southbound Sheyenne Street on Saturday, June 15.
Scope of work for project segments:
This project work between 2018 – 2019 construction seasons is split into three segments.
Segment 1: 13th Avenue W. to Beaton Drive
- Construction Schedule: 2018
- Proposed Improvement: Five-lane section that includes two lanes in each direction and a center left turn lane.
Segment 2: Beaton Drive to 32nd Avenue W
- Construction Schedule: 2018 & 2019
- Proposed Improvement: Six-lane section with a raised median and offset left turn-lanes and a new bridge over the Sheyenne Diversion.
Segment 3: 32nd Avenue W. to 40th Avenue W.
- Construction Schedule: 2019
- Estimated Construction Cost: $15.3 million
- Proposed Improvements: Four-lane section with a raised median and offset left-turn lanes.
For more information go to: WestFargoStreets.com
April 22 - Head-to-head Traffic Shift Work Zone Map
Future Interchange Overview and Future Traffic Flow Map
Future Rendering - I-94 and Sheyenne Street Interchange
Future birds-eye view - I-94 and Sheyenne Street Interchange (Modified SPUI)