I-94 and University Interchange Improvement Project
The NDDOT will be overseeing the complete reconstruction of I-94 and University Drive interchange, updates to traffic signals used by interstate traffic and half mile of University Drive roadway. The project will reconnect and straighten out the interstate ramps, lengthen the turn lanes and create access control to help with better traffic flow through the area. University Drive will be three-driving lanes plus interstate turning lanes in each direction.
The new interchange design will create multimodal separation, so cars and pedestrians will have separation. Safety improvements will increase the interest in use of the interchange and reduce conflict points. There will be one driveway consolidated in the project work, otherwise all other business/access driveways will remain on University Drive.
This project started in May and will be complete this Fall.
Work Zone Limits:
US 81 (University Drive) – 21st Ave S to 18th Ave, Fargo
South University Drive and I-94 interchange remain open for travel.
Traffic is head-to-head on east side of South University Drive between 17th Avenue South to just under the I-94 bridge.
- Northbound has two open lanes and southbound has one open driving for travel through the project limits
- 18th Avenue South intersection: Left-hand turns for northbound and southbound South University Drive are restricted.
- Temporary ramp is in use at the northwest quadrant of the interchange
- South of the interchange traffic control and additional turn lanes have been opened to drivers
Motorists are using the newly constructed east side of the roadway to allow crews to complete underground work and pave the new west side of South University Drive. Flaggers are present to assist with truck traffic moving in and out of the zone.
Keeping traffic moving through the work zone is the goal of the traffic control design across four phases of project work.
- First phase: Remove curb and gutter and install temporary pavement in the median. Maintain two lanes of traffic each direction – COMPLETE
- Second phase: Reconstruct east half while maintaining two lanes of traffic in each direction. There will be short periods when traffic is restricted to one lane – COMPLETE
- Third phase: Reconstruct west half while maintaining two lanes of traffic. There will be short periods when traffic is restricted to one lane – CURRENT
- Fourth phase: Construct median with two lanes each direction.
Work on the south side of interstate will be completed as resources allow and the pedestrian underpass will be built during multiple phases of the project.
Need for Project:
- Better accommodate peak hour traffic thru the interchange
- Improve pavement condition
- Help alleviate unnecessary traffic movements
- Shared-use path under the interstate ramp on the northwest side
Most of the project will be focused on widening the east part of University Drive, along with:
- Reinforced concrete box culverts
- Medians to control traffic crossing east to west on University Drive
- Shared-use path under the interstate ramps
- Interstate ramps
- Storm drain
- Pavement markings
- City utilities
NDDOT will be funding the project with a majority of federal and state funds. The City of Fargo will have participating items for infrastructure improvements.
Project cost is $4.9 Million:
- Federal: $4.1 Million
- State: $0.2 Million
- City: $0.6 Million
I-94 AND SOUTH UNIVERSITY DRIVE INTERCHANGE IMPROVEMENT PROJECT OVERVIEW MAP
Updated (August 17) - CURRENT WORK ZONE MAP AND TRAFFIC FLOW MAP