I-94 and University Interchange Improvement Project
The NDDOT will be overseeing the complete reconstruction of I-94 and University Drive interchange, updates to traffic signals used by interstate traffic and half mile of University Drive roadway. The project will reconnect and straighten out the interstate ramps, lengthen the turn lanes and create access control to help with better traffic flow through the area. University Drive will be three-driving lanes plus interstate turning lanes in each direction.
The new interchange design will create multimodal separation, so cars and pedestrians will have separation. Safety improvements will increase the interest in use of the interchange and reduce conflict points. There will be one driveway consolidated in the project work, otherwise all other business/access driveways will remain on University Drive.
This project is scheduled to begin mid-May and be complete Fall 2018.
Work Zone Limits:
US 81 (University Drive) – 21st Ave S to 18th Ave, Fargo
University Drive and I-94 will remain open with reduced driving lanes in both directions of travel on each of the roadways.
Keeping traffic moving through the work zone is the goal of the traffic control design across four phases of project work.
- First phase: Remove curb and gutter and install temporary pavement in the median. Maintain two lanes of traffic each direction.
- Second phase: Reconstruct east half while maintaining two lanes of traffic in each direction. There will be short periods when traffic is restricted to one lane.
- Third phase: Reconstruct west half while maintaining two lanes of traffic. There will be short periods when traffic is restricted to one lane.
- Fourth phase: Construct median with two lanes each direction.
Work on the south side of interstate will be completed as resources allow and the pedestrian underpass will be built during multiple phases of the project.
Need for Project:
- Better accommodate peak hour traffic thru the interchange
- Improve pavement condition
- Help alleviate unnecessary traffic movements
- Shared-use path under the interstate ramp on the northwest side
Most of the project will be focused on widening the east part of University Drive, along with:
- Reinforced concrete box culverts
- Medians to control traffic crossing east to west on University Drive
- Shared-use path under the interstate ramps
- Interstate ramps
- Storm drain
- Pavement markings
- City utilities
NDDOT will be funding the project with a majority of federal and state funds. The City of Fargo will have participating items for infrastructure improvements.
Project cost is $4.9 Million:
- Federal: $4.1 Million
- State: $0.2 Million
- City: $0.6 Million
I-94 and University Interchange Improvement Project Overview Map
I-94 and University Interchange Improvement Project Current Traffic Pattern Overview Map