West Fargo Main Avenue Reconstruction
The 2016 project work began on March 8 and wrapped up in October, completing the entire seven-year reconstruction plan along the Main Avenue corridor.
|All three phases of the project completely reconstructed Main Ave. between Interstate 94 (I-94) and 45th Street, converting the old rural sections into a safer infrastructure system. A 2001 planning study pointed out safety and infrastructure issues due to substantial city growth, and identified specific project needs. As a result, plans for the reconstruction project have been active since 2005 with phases occurring in 2009, 2012 and 2015/2016. The final phase focused on the western portion of Main Ave. between the I-94 Interchange and Morrison Street, where the roadway, Sheyenne Bridge and all utilities were reconstructed or updated.|
Public information meetings have concluded for the 2016 project work. Public information meetings were held every other week at the same time and location from Tuesday, March 29 to Tuesday, August 30.
Officials from the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) and City of West Fargo discussed plans for the 2016 Main Avenue Reconstruction project, upcoming traffic impacts and construction progress. Main Avenue area businesses, residents and the general public were invited to attend.
12th Street W across the Sheyenne River Bridge to Sheyenne Street, eastbound and westbound roadway.
2016 work zone was approximately 0.6 miles.
Phases 6 through 9, and associated sub-phases, will continue to finish the project work in 2016. Phases 1 through 5 of the project were completed in 2015.
Phase timelines are weather dependent.
This project marks the third, and final, phase of reconstruction for Main Avenue and will complete necessary infrastructure improvements.
The 2016 construction zone primarily focuses on the Sheyenne River Bridge and includes a few blocks of roadway on each side.
Project work consists of:
- Construct new box culvert at Drain 21
- Replace Sheyenne River Bridge with new box culvert
- Roadway reconstruction of eastbound and westbound lanes
- Removal of frontage roads and addition of direct business access
- Installation of new storm sewer, water main and sanitary sewer
Overall improvements from the complete Main Ave. project phases include:
- Additional lanes to improve traffic flow
- New driving surface throughout the entire project
- Larger intersection areas for increased traffic counts
- Removal of frontage road system that often caused conflict and congestion
- Direct business access from Main Ave. with added driveways
- Improved drainage and underground utilities
- New boulevards, lighting, traffic signals, shared use paths and signage
For most of the project work, traffic will be head-to-head, one lane in each direction and speeds will be reduced.
- The first phase will include work on the north side of Main Avenue near Drain 21 (approximately 11th St W) and the Sheyenne River. All traffic will be carried on the south half of south frontage road.
- Traffic will switch to the north half, while the south side of the box culvert and Sheyenne River Bridge is being constructed.
- Traffic will switch back to the south side of Main Avenue while the westbound roadway is constructed and business access are added, then switch to the north side of Main Avenue while the eastbound roadway is finished.
With increasing traffic volumes, the project will address bridge structures, driving surface, direct access and safety issues along Main Avenue
- A new box culvert will improve infrastructure and safety near the Sheyenne River.
- New concrete roadway will upgrade the driving surface.
- Eliminating frontage roads will increase safety and provides direct business access.
- Construction will address the needed infrastructure improvements highlighted in a corridor study from 2000.
The two year project costs approximately $23.8 million.
- The project is funded by 80% federal funds, 10% state funds and 10% local funds.
- Sanitary and water main improvements are 100% city funds.
|Location||Existing 2014||Projected 2034||Increase|
|Eastbound||Pass: 5,700 Trucks: 495 Total: 6195||Pass: 7240 Trucks: 630 Total: 7870|
|Westbound||Pass: 5,665 Trucks: 495 Total: 6160||Pass: 7195 Trucks: 630 Total: 7825|
Three Phases of West Fargo Main Avenue Reconstruction | 2009 - 2016
Final Phase Traffic Access Map and Work Zone | 2016