South University Drive and I-94 Interchange Shifts into Next Project Phase Sunday
August 4, 2018
Northbound drivers will be carried in two driving lanes, southbound drivers will be reduced to one driving lane during the first part of the phase
Starting Sunday, August 5, contractor for the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Fargo District and City of Fargo Interstate 94 (I-94) and South University Drive interchange project will flip traffic to the opposite side of the roadway to start the third phase of the reconstruction and infrastructure improvement work.
By early morning, Monday, August 6, all traffic will be moving head-to-head on east side of South University Drive between 17th Avenue South to just under the I-94 bridge. Motorists will begin to use the newly constructed east side of the roadway to allow crews to start on roadway removals of the old west side of South University Drive.
South University Drive and I-94 interchange will have the following traffic control in place for motorists during this phase:
- NORTHBOUND: two driving lanes will be open between Oak Manor Drive and north of 18th Avenue S
- SOUTHBOUND: one driving lane will be open from north of 18th Avenue S to Oak Manor Drive. An additional southbound driving lane will open to drivers later in the phase.
- RAMPS: Southwest and northeast exit ramps will be one turning lane in each direction. All interstate ramps will remain open
- 18th AVENUE S INTERSECTION: Left-turns remain restricted for both north and southbound traffic
The west side business driveways south of 18th Avenue S intersection access will change for motorists during this phase:
- Gas station: South University access will be right-in/right-out to mainline through the middle only driveway
- Bank: South University driveway will be closed and access will be at the 18th Avenue S driveway
- Northbound motorists are not able to cross over traffic and turn left into west side driveways
- Best route to access driveways is via side streets off 13th ½ Avenue S
Pedestrian access during this phase while crews work on the northwest quadrant of the interchange and begin west side roadway removals:
- OPEN: sidewalk on east side of South University Drive between 17th Avenue S and 18th Avenue S, and east/west crossing at 18th Avenue S intersection will always be maintained
- CLOSED: sidewalk on the west side of South University Drive from 17th Avenue to under I-94. The detour for pedestrians is east of South University Drive by use of 17th Avenue S to 9th Street South to use the Lincoln Tunnel under I-94 to 21st Avenue S.
The reconstruction project work on the west side of South University will continue into early fall to complete roadway removals, underground and paving operations. Once complete, traffic will then shift to the outside of each side of South University Drive in their respective direction of travel to allow crews to work in the center of the roadway.
Flaggers are present to assist with truck traffic moving in and out of the work zone. Motorists may experience brief delays. If an alternative route is available, motorists are encouraged to use these routes to help those traveling through or turning into driveways found in the work zone. Speeds are reduced to 25 mph.
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »