South University Drive Traffic Shifts to Head-to-Head Next Week
May 18, 2018
Early next week all motorists will drive on the west side of the roadway as crews begin east side roadway reconstruction
Early next week contractors for the Interstate 94 (I-94) and South University Drive Interchange and Road Improvement project will begin the next phase project work by shifting traffic onto the existing pavement on the west side of the work zone. Crews will begin removing the east side of the roadway to begin infrastructure improvements underneath the roadway next week. Work on the east side will take about two months to complete underground and paving operations then traffic will shift to the newly constructed east side roadway to begin the reconstruction of the west side of South University Drive and ramp improvements.
Access onto to South University from I-94 and business driveways off of South University will remain pen for use of the traveling public.
Traffic is currently reduced to two southbound and northbound lanes as crews continue with median removals throughout the project limits. Crews are working close to moving traffic in the middle during removals and installation of temporary asphalt.
On Saturday, May 19, from 6 – 6:30 a.m. crews will remove the overhead sign structure north of I-94 on South University Drive. During this time there will be flaggers present to help direct motorists until the sign is safely removed.
Speeds are reduced to 25 mph. Motorists may experience brief delays. If an alternative route is available, motorists are encouraged to use these routes to help those traveling through or turning into driveways found in the work zone.
Project start: May 14
Project completion: Mid- September
Work zone limits:
US 81 (South University Drive) – 21st Avenue S to 18th Avenue S in Fargo
Work zone length:
Less than half-mile surrounding the I-94 interchange
Traffic control: In both directions –
- South University Drive and I-94 will remain open
- Lane reductions will occur on South University Drive
- Overnight I-94 ramp closures will occur, 9 p.m. – 6 a.m. Posted detour will be via 25th Street S.
Additional project work:
- New roadway and center medians
- Install reinforced concrete box culvert
- Storm drainage improvements
- Upgrade lighting and traffic signals
- First phase: Remove curb and gutter and install temporary pavement in the median. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction.
- Second phase: Reconstruct east half of South University Drive while maintaining two lanes of traffic in each direction. There will be short periods when traffic is restricted to one lane in each direction.
- Third phase: Reconstruct west half of South University Drive while maintaining two lanes of traffic in each direction. There will be short periods when traffic is restricted to one lane in each direction.
- Fourth phase: Reconstruct the center median and build new cross-traffic center median. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction.
Work on the south side of I-94 will be completed as resources allow and the pedestrian underpass will be built during multiple phases of the project.
When project work is complete:
- South University Drive will be three-lane driving lanes plus interstate turning lanes in each direction
- Safety improvements will increase the interest in use of the interchange and reduce conflict points
- One driveway will be consolidated in the project work, otherwise all other business access and parking lot driveways will remain on South University Drive
NDDOT is funding the project with majority of federal and state funds totaling $4.9 million. The City of Fargo is participating by funding the infrastructure improvements and storm sewer upgrades.
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »