Work Zone Traffic Control to Change on I-94 near Sheyenne Street Tomorrow
May 23, 2018
Starting tomorrow, Thursday, May 24, work has progressed to begin the west bound Sheyenne Street bridge demolition and crews will move traffic to the same side of Interstate 94 (I-94). Eastbound and westbound I-94 motorists will be carried head-to-head in one lane of traffic in each direction for about 1 mile surrounding the Sheyenne Street interchange.
Tomorrow when westbound traffic shifts to the east side, the northwest Sheyenne Street exit loop ramp will close for use. Crews will begin reconstructing the ramp to work with the new modified single point urban interchange design.
Interstate traffic will remain in this driving pattern until the first year of work enters into winter suspension in late fall. Speeds on I-94 will be reduced to 45 mph on the interstate and 25 mph on the interstate ramps.
During the head-to-head traffic control, access to Sheyenne Street will be maintained by the following routes:
- Westbound drivers wishing to exit Sheyenne Street will be carried in a half mile lane on the west side. The entrance to this exit will be just west of 9th St E/Veteran Blvd exit where westbound traffic crosses over to the east side.
- Northwest Sheyenne Street exit loop ramp will be closed to westbound traffic to begin reconstruction work
- A temporary northeast exit-ramp will be used to travel northbound on Sheyenne Street. The existing ramp will begin to be reconstructed.
- All westbound traffic will exit on the northeast ramp to go south or north on Sheyenne Street
- Traffic will be allowed to make a left to go southbound on Sheyenne Street or right to go northbound on Sheyenne Street from the northeast ramp
- Eastbound drivers will reduce into one lane east of the southwest exit-ramp to Sheyenne Street, near All Finish Concrete building south of the interstate
- Southeast on-ramp will remain in use
Sheyenne Street drivers:
- Single lane of traffic north and south remains under the I-94 bridge between East Beaton Drive to Christianson Drive
Since the project work starting last week, crews have been active around Sheyenne Street ditch areas beginning the storm sewer improvements and under the bridge preparing the area to go head-to-head.
The North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Fargo District along with the City of West Fargo are improving the Interstate 94 (I-94) and Sheyenne Street corridor over the next two years. Project work for this year includes:
- Reconstruction of the eastbound I-94 bridge over Sheyenne Street
- Construction of new exit ramp and lengthen existing ramps
- Reconstruction of most of Sheyenne Street to two driving lanes plus turn lanes in each direction between East Beaton Drive to Christensen Drive in West Fargo
One of the easiest choices motorists can make as a driver when you enter a work zone is to slow down. Motorists are encouraged to eliminate distractions and pay attention to traffic changes throughout this dynamic work zone.
« Prev Update Back to Overview Next Update »